Sunday, October 12, 2008

Station Yard & Copse

This part of the layout is on the baseboard level, this will allow an effect of height once finished. As you'll see from the photographs, the initial modelling has to come from the back, but foreground detail has to be laid out to offer the background effect.

In this section the fencing offers a greater part to the scenic effect rather than what is in the scene. This area has been divided in to two sections, the Station Yard and an area leading to the copse.

I used a photographic technique to realise my goal, I looked at the scene with a panoramic eye, what would allow the scene to continue without stitching too many pieces together, the fencing was the key.

To allow some form of depth to the layout you need to build scenes from the ground up and from the back out. This might seem a simple statement, but many overlook the background and then need to add in detail after.

I used the GWR fencing for the station yard, this has different colours, you'll see the end result with the workmen I'm going to use. Hedging helps greatly, adding further depth from the viewing area to the back scene. Once these were in place I added more depth by adding undergrowth and smaller hedging between the hedge and the open areas. You need to use different colours for the effect to work, colour perception is the key to the brain, all one colour makes it look odd.

Textures added are again created from layering flock and other modelling items. I used the rubberised horsehair to create shrubbery, just cut it up into loose strands, then use watered down PVA to put in place, add some coloured flock, mainly green for effect.

Dividing this area into two sections allowed for more scenic modelling options and ideas, the station needed a work yard, and this end of the layout had less happening within it, within the back ground. (the foreground area is a goods yard and part of the preservation group - see overview of design).

Note: My layout is not based on a set time in history, it is actually based in a modern day setting, but I'm using a selection of models from past eras, this allows me the best of both worlds. I've always thought the GWR offered the best kept scenic railways, so much of my ideas stem from the GWR area, but I involve many regions within my layout. (see stock for further details)